Latest Articles

Posted by / Saturday, December 3, 2016 / 3 Comments

Pregnancy - Getting Sick


Being sick in general is never fun, but add pregnancy into the mix and it becomes escalated to a whole other level. The stuffy nose, cough, fever and body aches are no fun.

I am finally getting over this cold and couldn't be happier, especially for the fact that I can breathe out of both nostrils! The past week was rough because this is my first cold of the season and first time getting sick while pregnancy, if you are anything like me you are probably researching every possible solution to help get you through this rough patch. I can't even tell you how much reading I did, or how many times I called my doctor to make sure my baby was safe.

There's a few things I learned this week, and now I know what to do next time (hopefully there's not a next time) this happens.


First of all your immune system is running at a much slower pace now that you are pregnant, so it's a lot easier for you to catch a virus. Typically when you get sick you can take a wide variety of medications, but now with your little baby it's a whole different story. No need to worry, there are still medications that are safe for both Mommy and Baby just make sure to consult your doctor before taking anything. For me, I decided to stay away from any medication because with any cold there are other ways to help get through it.

Rest.

Sleep. Sleep. Sleep. Easier said than done? I know. Try and squeeze in a few naps, and try to relax and rest as much as possible. Your body is asking for this, so listen to it.

Like I mentioned, I avoided over the counter drugs because I am paranoid when it comes to taking anything with my pregnancy, but one thing I did do before bed was use nasal strips. They helped me breathe so so much. Another thing I would recommend is a humidifier, they can be lifesavers. You can buy one for really cheap at your Walmart.

Don't stop eating + Vitamins.

When sick a lot of people experience appetite loss, but you can't stop eating. Eat as healthy as possible and stay hydrated. Drink lots of water (I know you've been told this your whole life, but let me tell you again.. Hydrate) throughout the day. Vitamin C is your best friend when you are sick, it helps boost your immune system in a natural way. I took Vitamin C capsuls and they helped me so much! Don't forget your prenatals!!!!

When I was sick I ate a lot of chicken noodle soup and vegatables. I always keep a mason jar full of water next to me at home, so try doing that. Having water next to me helps me remember that I need to actually drink it!

Another thing that helped me was a hot cup of water with some lemon and a few drops of honey.

Get some fresh air.

Go for a walk outside and get some of that Vitamin D! Being couped up in a house all day while you are sick can bring down your mood. Even if you aren't feeling up to it I do suggest going outside for a few minutes a day just to get that fresh air on your face.

There's a lot of other remedies that people swear by, but those are the main things that helped me the past week. If there are any solutions you guys have found that helped you a lot I would love to know! 

3 comments:

  1. Oh man..i had the worst morning sickness with my last two.i had to get medication to ease the nausea. Hope you're doing well into your last few months of your pregnancy. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is the worst, I am doing so much better. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Oh getting sick when you're pregnant is horrible, you can't take any of the usual stuff. I used to stock up on honey, lemon and ginger when I felt a cold coming on!

    ReplyDelete

Follow @Instagram

About

My name is Alexis, but everyone calls me Lex. I made this blog to document my adventures and do what I love most, which is write.

Read more >

Follow by Email

Follow @Facebook

Follow