Latest Articles

Posted by / Tuesday, August 11, 2015 / No comments

Things I Wish I Knew MY Freshman Year




Freshman year of college was the most exhilarating year of my life! It was my first year living on my own, hours from home. It was my first year of full independence, no one telling me what to do, or when to do it.

But, I learned that having all of this profound freedom isn't as great as it sounds, not even close. Don't get be wrong, it is great being your own boss, but it comes with a lot of responsibilities.

I remember when I first moved into my apartment I was so excited that I was on my own, but when I went to the store to buy items for my house I was extremely overwhelmed. I forgot to buy toilet paper, hand soap, paper towels and little things like that. I have never had to purchase those items, so it was almost inevitable that I would forget those items. My point is that you have to buy things that you may not want to but you NEED to.

So, after all of my blabbing here is a list of things I wish someone would have told me before I started my first year of college, I broke it down into sections!

Moving in and living with strangers!!

1. Do not, and I mean DO NOT bring all of your clothes. You will most likely have a tiny room, and an even smaller closet. If you can keep your winter clothes at home, and get them later, I suggest you do that. Chances are you don't even wear half the clothes you'll bring with you!

2. If you are living with other people find out their information and figure out who is bringing what, so you don't end up having 5 of everything. That's what happened my first year, and our kitchen was CRAMMED.

3. Along with number 2 I mentioned get your roommates information, after you do that talk to them! Get to know who you will be living with for the next year of your life.

4. If your lucky like I was, your roommates will become some of your best friends. But, don't let that fool you. You guys will still get annoyed of each other and have your arguments. That is just what happens when you live with people. Just remember you will get over the fights and move on.

5. RESPECT your roommates, and hope the feeling is mutual. If you keep having issues, try and sit down with them and talk about it. If you can't fix the issues no matter what, you can always put in a request to change rooms or houses if you are in student housing.

6. If you want to borrow something ASK do not under any circumstances take your roommates items. That is just asking for trouble. Same goes for food.

7. Keep your bedroom door open, this is a good gesture towards your roommates. It shows that you are there if they want to talk! Don't be the girl that locks herself in her room and does nothing, that was me my first semester.

School Life!!

1. YOUR CLASSES ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, ATTEND EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM!!!!! A part of having independence means forcing yourself to go to class everyday, it is your money that you are wasting if you don't go.

2. If you aren't a morning person don't schedule morning classes, just don't do it. I am not a morning person, and I scheduled an early class my first semester, biggest mistake ever. But, If you are a morning person take morning classes, then you have more time in your day!

3. When you go to class the first day, you should get a syllabus. This WILL be your best friend, it is filled with everything you need to know about your class. It will contain important dates and information. Don't lose this paper, refer back to it as much as you feel you need to. When you get this precious piece of paper put all of the dates in your planner!

4. GET A PLANNER. This is so important, no one told me I should use one and I never did. That was a terrible mistake. You will forget important dates if you don't have one! Take your planner everywhere with you, this should be the most important book in your life. Not kidding either.

5. Take advantage of your professors office hours. If you have questions go in and ask them, they love when people come into their offices. Even if you don't have a question go in and just talk to them, make it known that you are interested in their class. This could help you in the long run.

6. Networking is so important, you never know who you are going to meet.

7. Never wait until the last minute to do an assignment or study for an exam. You will regret it. Refer back to your syllabus to know when things are due, and start on them a few weeks in advance.

8. You will have a few all nighters and that is okay.

9. If you fail your first exam it is OKAY. I promise you will not die. Just study harder and focus on better study techniques.

10. Under no circumstances should you ever buy your textbooks from the school bookstore. The books are so expensive and when they buy them back you get practically nothing back. I suggest you check out Slugbooks.com, you can get the same book for WAY cheaper.

11. Meet your academic adviser, they can be so helpful during your college experiences.

12. Go to the career center. They help with resumes, mock interviews and they can help you find internships.

13. Find someone in each class that you can study with, this will benefit you when exams roll around.

14. Grades aren't everything, remember this.

15. Learn how to manage your time properly.

Social Life!!

1. College is the years to experiment and try new things, so don't be afraid to do just that.

2. Go to the welcome back week activities, they are fun I promise. You will meet new people and experience the schools atmosphere.

3. Attend your schools club rush as well! Join a club or in my case five! When you sign up to join a club don't feel any obligation to stay in the club. Go to the first club meeting and if it isn't for you try other ones until you find the ones you like. Clubs are a great way to meet people who have the same interests as you! Plus, club meetings are usually only once a week, so it isn't that big of a time commitment.

4. Don't sit in your room and watch Netflix all day and night. I did that my first semester and I missed out on so much. These are the days to stay out all night and have fun with friends trying new things! So when someone invites you to midnight pizza and movies say yes, I promise you will not regret it.

5. I am not a person to condone drinking, but if you do, don't push yourself over your limit. Have fun, but know when to stop.

6. Talk to everyone, seriously. You will have all different kinds of friends. This isn't high school, you can be friends with everyone. Push yourself to go meet new people, don't be scared.

7. Speaking of high school, you will lose contact with most of the people you went to high school with, and this isn't a bad thing. People change and grow up, and that is just a fact of life. Don't let this bring you down. Accept it and move on. Everyone is growing up and moving on, so don't expect things to be the same when you go home to visit.

8. Go to the football games.

9. Enjoy what your campus have to offer you.

Your Health!!

1. Don't eat fast food everyday, just don't do it.

2. You are the one in charge of your everyday meals, so try and eat moderately healthy at the least. The freshman 15 is a real thing, I know. I gained that darn 15 pounds my first year. It was horrible.

3. Learn to meditate. You don't have to have a yoga mat and a sanctuary to do this. Just find some quiet time 5-10 minutes and focus on your breathing and relax. This will help you with all the stress you will have.

4. Take up yoga! It is fun, and relieves tons of tension in your body.

5. Aim to workout at least 3-4 times a week, even if it's just a walk around your campus. Fitness is so important to incorporate in your life.

6. Overall just take care of your body. Eat well, sleep enough, and exercise. If you do so, your body will thank you by building a stronger immune system so you won't get sick or feel sluggish as often.

College can be the greatest or worst time of your life, it is all how you make it. You get what you put in, so make an effort to enjoy this first year. You will gain friendships and lose some, but don't let that get you down. You are starting a new chapter in your life, embrace these changes. This is the beginning of the rest of your life!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @Instagram

About

My name is Alexis, but everyone calls me Lex. I made this blog to document my adventures and do what I love most, which is write.

Read more >

Follow by Email

Follow @Facebook

Follow