Latest Articles

Posted by / Monday, August 17, 2015 / No comments

Five Ways to Reduce Stress in College


It is that time of year again, the beginning of a new semester. Are you guys excited for this new adventure? I sure am! The topic for my post today is stress, this is something that everyone faces everyday or on a regular basis. It is completely natural to feel this way. What I want to talk about today is how to reduce that stress during college. So keep reading to find out my top five tips to reduce stress in college!

1. Take care of your body. When I say this I am meaning to: Eat healthy and regularly, exercise and get enough sleep.

Eating right is so important because it can help strengthen your immune system and you will naturally feel better. I understand this is college so you are going to have pizza nights and late night snacks, just try to not have pizza be your whole diet!

Exercise exercise exercise!! Most universities have a gym membership already included in your tuition and fees so make sure you take advantage of this. Aim to do physical activity at least three times a week. Go try a Zumba class, or go for a hike. There are so many different opportunities out there that involve physical activity, you just have to look. By exercising regularly you are helping your body in numerous ways. Exercise is a great way to reduce stress because your body releases endorphins.

Get enough sleep, seriously. Sleep is so important because it's when your brain finally gets to relax. Aim for 8 hours of sleep every night. Now I know that is easier said then done because you want to stay out late every night, or some nights you may have to pull an all-nighter. I understand, really I do. But, remember that if your body is fully charged, chances are you will do better when it comes to studying.

By taking care of your body and overall health you will reduce your stress immensely.

2. Don't stop doing what you're passionate about. School can be ridiculously stressful, and it can make it so you have close to no free time. To reduce your stress you need to make time for what you love. Whether that be reading, writing, cooking, running, whatever you are passionate about don't stop doing that. If you do, you will get more and more stressed. So take time out of your week to do what you love, even if it is only for an hour.

3. Try not to overload yourself with school. I get it, you want to be apart of every club and organization. But, you need to realize that college has a lot of homework and clubs have obligations. Try and not overbook yourself with different obligations. What I did was join two clubs and Student Government. It was enough for me where I could handle school and my extracurricular activites. Find what is the right amount for you, don't overdue it. Because it will only cause you more stress.

4. Meditate. My first year of college I took a yoga class, and this class changed my life. I learned how to meditate and relax my body. This can have such a large impact on your life. Yoga and meditation reduce stress and tension in your body. You don't have to have a yoga mat or even take a class.

Try sitting in your room or a quiet place and focus on your breathing, nothing other than your breathing. If thoughts come into your mind, push them away and keep focusing on that breathing. Meditate once a day or even more if you want. I promise that you will see less stress in your life after doing this. Read this link for even more meditation tips.

5. Have a good support system. This for me was/is the most important thing to reduce my daily stress. Having people you can talk to is so important, it is good to talk about what is bothering you. Call home and have a long talk with someone in your house that calms you down. Or if you don't have that option talk to one of your roommates if you guys are close. Now, if you have no one like that you can go talk to an adviser at the school. My school has a health and wellness center that has counselors you can talk to. Take advantage of that. Talking to someone can reduce your stress in so many different ways. Try it.

There are my five tips to reduce stress, Remember that stress is something you can't avoid or prevent from being in your life. It is something that is inevitable. Try those tips above and let me know if your stress is reduced! Also, how do you get rid of stress in your life? I hope you guys enjoyed this post.

I did a collaboration with a fellow blogger! You can find her post here. Her blog is The Thing That Sings. Make sure to go check it out and show her page some love. The post is about Desk Organization!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @Instagram

About

My name is Alexis, but everyone calls me Lex. I made this blog to document my adventures and do what I love most, which is write.

Read more >

Follow by Email

Follow @Facebook

Follow