Latest Articles

Posted by / Sunday, March 1, 2015 / No comments

A negative could be a positive in disguise

A negative thing could be something positive in disguise.

I got terrible news the other day, it crushed me deeply. I applied for a scholarship to be an Ambassador at my University. For the application you had to make a video and do a bunch of stuff to be qualified. I worked my butt off on my application, I was working on it for weeks to make it just right. When I submitted it I was almost positive I would at least get an interview for the scholarship.

The other day I got an email from them. Before I opened it I said to myself it is either going to say "We are pleased..." or "We regret..." I was so nervous to click on the link but I took a deep breath and clicked the mouse.

"Dear Alexis....
We regret to inform you..."

I swear in that moment I felt like nothing. I was completely crushed, all my hard work was for nothing. I was a complete wreck. I felt that I wasn't good enough.

But, I called my Mama later that night and broke down in tears over the phone while I told her about it. She said that I could always do it again next year and keep trying. This minor setback can't have this much of an impact on me. It is only one scholarship.

It really did hit me later when I started thinking about it. Yeah, it really isn't that big of a deal. I mean yes I wanted this more than anything, and yes I did work on it for days. But, this was a great learning experience. I learned a lot about myself in the making of my video. I learned that you can put a lot of hard work into something and get nothing 'big' in return, but you can get experience. And experience is success.

This whole thing just wasn't meant to be, who knows something better could be heading my way and life just had to happen this way for it all to workout. Don't let one negative thing ruin your outlook. Keep trying, always. Better things will always come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @Instagram

About

My name is Alexis, but everyone calls me Lex. I made this blog to document my adventures and do what I love most, which is write.

Read more >

Follow by Email

Follow @Facebook

Follow